Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

After doing a Mother's day spread for the past few years, you would think that I would try to do something equal for Father's day.  Alas it is not to be so this year.  Not that I don't think fathers are important, they just aren't as prevalent in my day to day life.  Liam is growing up with lesbian parents so he doesn't have a "Dad".  We don't know anything about his father so we have no one to call there.  We are visiting Hilary's folks so we are spending the day with Grandpa and we will call my father later to wish him a Happy Father's Day, but that is really the extent of it for us this year.

The day does have me reflecting on my own first father.  Someone named Ken who I will never have a chance to meet.  I wonder how much like him I would have been?  My eyes and my colouring are from his gene pool.  What about my height, my laugh, my tone-deafness?  Maybe one day I will find his other children, my 1/2 siblings and they will help to fill in the blanks.

But I do wish all the Father's our there a Happy Father's Day!

No comments: