Monday, October 24, 2011

Open Adoption Roundtable #31

The Open Adoption Roundtable is a series of occasional writing prompts about open adoption. It's designed to showcase of the diversity of thought and experience in the open adoption community. You don't need to be listed at Open Adoption Bloggers to participate or even be in a traditional open adoption. If you're thinking about openness in adoption, you have a place at the table. The prompts are meant to be starting points--please feel free to adapt or expand on them.


Prompt #31: Write about open adoption and being scared.




There is really only one thing about open adoption that scares me.  The adoption NOT being open.  It scares me that Liam may never have a chance to know his mother or his siblings.  It scares me that he will grow up with the same hole and emptiness that I did when I thought about my first family.  It scares me that he may one day have to have a "reunion" instead of just having the chance to grow up with open adoption as part of his day to day life.

It doesn't just scare me, it makes me sad.

3 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Love this, Andy.

I hope your fears for Liam are never realized.

Geochick said...

Eloquent and succinct. Great response.

meghann said...

This.

I know it isn't a realistic fear, in our case. But it's there nonetheless.

xo