Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Daring Kitchen - Braising


Blog-checking lines: The March, 2012 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by Carol, a/k/a Poisonive – and she challenged us all to learn the art of Braising! Carol focused on Michael Ruhlman’s technique and shared with us some of his expertise from his book “Ruhlman’s Twenty”. 

When I first read about braising, it sounded a lot like boiling food.  But it really isn't just that.  In fact for the recipe that I made, I only used 1 cup of liquid to cook 3.5 pounds of meat.  The key to braising is to slowly cook the food and to use acids (orange juice in this case) to break down the connective tissues, making the meat very tender.

Carol provided us with several recipe options, and I chose to make "Pork Belly with Caramel Miso Sauce". Either be daring or get out of the kitchen!

I was pleased to find out that our local grocery store sold pork belly.  But when I got there, they had it all sliced up like bacon, which is what pork belly really is, just not smoked or cured.  Luckily the butcher had more in the back and was able to cut me a chunk.


I dry roasted some coriander seeds and peppercorns to add to the braising liquid.


Along with the spices I added onion, garlic, bay leaves and 1 cup of orange juice.  I then covered the pot with tin foil and put it in a 250 oven and let it cook for six hours.  The smell by hour 4 was divine!
 

Pork belly has a thick layer of fat on the top, much of which cooked down during the braising process.  The meat was so tender when it finished cooking, that you could not have taken it out of the pot without it falling apart.  The good thing is that the next step was to refrigerate it for up to 5 days, which allowed the fat to congeal.  This meant that I could easily scrape off the extra fat as well as take the meat out and cut it into cubes without it disintegrating.

A cut up cube ready to be seared.  Notice the thick layer of fat on top.

Pork belly is best served seared, with a nice crispy outside to all the edges.  
 

I finished it off with a caramel-miso sauce glaze that is to die for.  We will be trying this sauce out on many other meats.  I served the finished product with garlic mashed potatoes and mixed sautéed greens.
 

Overall, another successful challenge from The Daring Kitchen.

14 comments:

Audax said...

WOW you really did a fabulous job on the pork belly it does look so tender and juicy a great result. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!

The Garlic Press said...

This looks delicious! I am going to try this pork belly recipe for sure!

Oggi said...

Love the photo of the thick layer of fat...makes me want to cook later. Great job on the challenge.:)

Jaida said...

I have to admit the words Pork Belly scare me a bit, but yours look so delicious that I may just have to bite the bullet and give it a try! Great job!

shelley c. said...

Oh my gosh, your pork belly looks outstanding. I've actually always shied away from pork belly, but after reading your post, I really want to give it a try. Fantastic job.

Nish said...

The pork belly looks so mouth-watering! Love the addition of the coriander seeds too! Well done!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Your pork belly looks wonderful!! Great job with this challenge!
Thank you for stopping by!

chef_d said...

Yum! This looks and tastes heavenly! Great job!

Ruth Ellis said...

Looks delicious! Yum - fantastic caramelisation :o)

Jo said...

This is still on my list of "must make" from this challenge. Your pork belly looks fantastic!

Poisonive said...

Great job on the challenge and your pork belly looks fantastic! So glad you enjoyed the challenge and you dared to pork belly!

luna said...

wow, that is so ambitious! nice pix too.

that caramel miso sauce sounds so so good.

MissVicky said...

WOW... it looks delicious!!