Thursday, June 14, 2012

Daring Kitchen - Canneloni

Blog-checking lines: Manu from Manu’s Menu was our Daring Cooks lovely June hostess and has challenged us to make traditional Italian cannelloni from scratch! We were taught how to make the pasta, filling, and sauces shared with us from her own and her family’s treasured recipes!



Having made pasta once before for another Daring Kitchen Challenge, I was not freaked out by the idea of making home made Canneloni.  I dove right into it one Sunday afternoon and had it all ready to go in no time. I'm not a huge fan of tomato sauce, so I'm all for any pasta dish that is made with Béchamel sauce.  It has such a fancy name for being just flour and butter with a hint of nutmeg.

I kept things simple and traditional and made a spinach and ricotta cheese filling.
 
I like to have friends over to enjoy my challenges (or not as is sometimes the case!) but the timing of this challenge just didn't work out.  So I'm going to make it again this weekend!  My Mom arrives on Friday and we are having 2 other couples over for dinner.  So I will be making cannelloni for 7 this time....with a twist.  One of our friends has Celiac Disease, so I will be making a batch of Gluten Free Pasta.  I found a recipe from Gluten Free Girl that has some good comments and looks pretty yummy.  Here's hoping!

11 comments:

chef_d said...

Spinach and ricotta sounds delicious! Great job, I'm sure you will come up with another delicious recipe for your upcoming dinner :)

Anna said...

Beautiful looking cannelloni! Your dish looks super delish! :)
Pozdrawiam, Anula.

Claudia said...

Your cannelloni look so good. I enjoyed this challenge too and made a zucchini filling.

shelley c. said...

YUM - your cannelloni looks delicious. And I can't wait to see how your gluten free pasta comes out!

Jenni said...

Beautiful job! Your cannelloni look absolutely perfect! I love having friends or family over to share my challenges, too (especially Daring Bakers) otherwise I tend to eat everything, haha. This challenge is definitely worthy of making again! :)

Ruth Ellis said...

Great job - and good luck with the gluten free version - I'm sure it will be a big hit!

Sawsan@ chef in disguise said...

Spinach and ricotta area a great combination and I am sure you will make something really tasty and amazing for your dinner party

Anonymous said...

Beautiful looking cannelloni! And bravo for the GF version for your friend! :)

David and Stacy said...

Great job, looks wonderful.

We think your guests will be very happy.

Stay JOLLY!
D&S

Suz said...

Wow, that looks delicious! Seriously craving pasta now ....

Hope the gluten free cannelloni went well! I'm sure it was wonderful. I've been thinking of having a go at gluten free pasta myself, so thanks for the recipe link. :)

Tisa Jacob said...

Lovely job on this task!. It looks delicious! Your picture is begging me to try that spinach ricotta filling, maybe today :)