Sunday, April 17, 2011

Daring a new hobby

I love taking pictures.  To the point that Liam just rolls his eyes and makes faces at me any time he sees me with my camera.   So after I got my new camera at Christmas, I decided I would expand my picture taking to things that can't complain!  I even started a second blog, Today's the Day I Photograph, where I post pictures that I think are post-worthy.

I really enjoy taking pictures of food, and the great thing is that there is often new and unusual food things happening in my house.  I have a lot to learn about staging and lighting, but for now I'm having fun with it.

Hilary made a comment the other day that has set the hobby ball rolling in a new direction.  She said that I should also do some more cooking so that I have more things to photograph.  Hilary has always done the bulk of the cooking for our family, simply because she is much better at it then I am.  She is confident, she can touch raw meat and she understands which flavours go well together.  Left to my own devices, I wouldn't starve, but it would be pretty bland (and probably vegetarian) fare.

I've decided to embrace the challenge!  Since I can't just look at an ingredient and be inspired to whip up something awesome I needed some help.   I had already been checking out photoblogs for food, like Taste Spotting to see how other peoples pictures looked. While I was surfing around there I came across some recipes that I liked and felt I could make.  I'll be doing my first one tonight! It's a surprise for Hilary, so I'll share tomorrow what it is and how it worked out.

I then came across another website, The Daring Kitchen.  Once a month they post a recipe challenge, and you have till the 14th of the following month to cook it, photograph it and blog about it.  They also have a Daring Bakers challenge, but since I am already comfortable with baking I signed up for the Daring Cooks challenges.  I should be getting the first challenge later today.  If all goes well, I'll be posting the reveal on May 14th.

I'm excited to see where this new hobby takes me!  Now I just have to make myself a light-box, and I'll be all set!

No comments: