Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Daring Kitchen - Patties

Blog-checking lines:The Daring Cooks’ February 2012 challenge was hosted by Audax & Lis and they chose to present Patties for their ease of construction, ingredients and deliciousness! We were given several recipes, and learned the different types of binders and cooking methods to produce our own tasty patties!

We have several pattie recipes that we love.  Zucchini, corn, potato....  For this month's challenge I decided to make 2 different patties for one meal:  Crab cakes and Potato patties.  The potato ones are a repeat from the Daring Kitchen Tea challenge.  We loved them so much that we have added them to our regular repertoire.

I decided on crab cakes (something I don't even normally think that I like) at Hilary's suggestion because fresh Jonah crabs were on sale.  


 While the end result was amazing, the amount of work to clean 5 fresh crabs, to only yield enough meat for a half-dozen crab cakes, was too much.  Next time I would use frozen crab meat.

The potato patties are simply a mixture of potato, green onion, wasabé and horseradish.

The crab cakes were only covered in Panko crumbs, while the potato ones have flour then egg then Panko crumbs.



The both fried up at the same time making it easy to serve the meal all together without having to keep anything warm.


These tasted so go on their own that they didn't need any kind of sauce or dip to go with them.

Another successful challenge!

11 comments:

Audax said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the challenge so much and yes crab cake are better made with frozen crab meat from a bag!. Lovely work on this challenge I really like the photos as well. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

The Garlic Press said...

That does sound like a lot of work for 5 crab cakes, though I bet they were delicious!

Rhonda said...

I'm with you on using the frozen crab for patties. You're patties looked like they turned out great!

barb said...

I love the crab cakes (kudos for that work! I grew up in the Maritimes and I know shellfish can be a lot of work for not much return), and the idea of horseradish/wasabi in potato cakes sounds amazing! Nice job.

Sawsan@chef in disguise said...

Hats off to you on all the effort you put into the cakes. Both patties look brilliant, great job on this challenge

shelley c. said...

They look outstanding, and I bet they both tasted delicious. The flavors that you incorporated into each patty sounds really great. Awesome job on the challenge!

blepharisma said...

Love crab cakes! They look fantastic! I can imagine how much work it took... and I always end up with little cuts all over my hands from the shells.

Todd M said...

Love crab cakes but have never made them - yours look great. The potatoes sound really good with the horshradish and wasabi too.

Nish said...

These crab cakes sound divine! Love the wasabe addition! Bookmarked this recipe :)

Jo said...

Both your patties sound incredibly yummy! Spicy potato cakes with crab cakes? match made in heaven if you ask me.

Cher Rockwell said...

Wow! Those crap and potato cakes look great. sounds like you went the extra mile with the crabs!