Monday, January 14, 2013

Favourite Childhood Memory - Toilet Paper

Yup, one of my favourite childhood memories is about toilet paper. Not just any toilet paper, but industrial strength, could be used to sand wood, stands up on it's own, toilet paper.


Growing up we spent all of our holidays and most of our weekends with my maternal grandparents. My Grandma had 2 children (one of which is my Mom) in her 20s and then had 2 more children when she was in her 40s. So when we got together there were the 4 adults and 3 kids, since my 2 uncles were only 8 and 10 years older than I was. My parents and I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, and my grandparents and the boys lived in a 3 bedroom house. No matter where we were, there was never enough room, and certainly not enough beds. My grandfather always got relegated to the couch and my grandma bunked in bed with me.

Keep in mind, this was the 1970’s, so not exactly the height of great fashion! My Grandma’s hair was not quit a ‘60s beehive, but something similar, which may have involved home perms on a regular basis. Always frugal, keeping her family of 4 on a small income, my Grandma had to make sure that she got the most mileage out of her hair-do as she could. So every night before bed, she would wrap her head in toilet paper, kept in place with bobby pins. I was already asleep when she would wrap her hair at night, but the highlight of my wee life was to wake up with my Grandma and help her unwind her hair, being careful not to tear the paper so that it could be used another night.

Now whenever I’m somewhere that uses that heavy grade, school-like quality toilet paper, I think of my Grandma.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I love it!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

This post didn't go where I thought it would!

What sweet memories. Made me smile for you and your Grandma.

Jenna said...

This is just lovely. :)

Elaine Pinkerton said...

Thanks for sharing your memories with us! It's the silly ones that always seem to mean the most. Definitely put a much needed smile on my face.