Sunday, January 27, 2013

What's a parent to do?

All right,all you parents (and none parents, I'll take advice from everyone!) out there, I need your input on this one.

What do you do when  your kid doesn't want to do something fun?  You've planned and talked about an upcoming activity all week.  They are stoked, excited even.  Then the day comes and poof.  They no longer want to go.

They don't have a reason beyond just not wanting to.  It's an outside activity so maybe they are worried about the cold weather.  You offer to change it up with another, fun, indoor activity.  Something they've done before and enjoyed.  Nope.  They simply don't want to go anywhere.

If this was the first time, I would write it off as tired, over scheduled, just needing a low impact, stay home, mental health kinda day.  But this isn't the first time.  It's pretty much become every time.

So the question I have is:  Do I force it?  Suck it up Buttercup, we are going and your going to have fun, damn it.  Do I say okay, and we never leave the house again?  I really struggle with this one.....
Post a Comment