Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Calendars

We don't celebrate the religious side of Advent, but we do count down to Christmas with an Advent calendar every year. Most years we buy the calendars with little windows that open and you get a chocolate.  One year I made a Calendar for Hilary, putting small gifts in numbered paper bags that I hung on our bedroom door.  The year the Liam had surgery the week before and then again the week after Christmas, we filled mini gift bags with Hot Wheels and other small toys.  Last year we splurged and got Liam a Playmobile Pirate Calendar.

This year I decided to make them again.  But I really like having a little chocolate after dinner each night, and we don't need any more toys!  Luckily, Laura Secord sells Advent Calendar Chocolate Refills!  After a trip to the dollar store I was all set.





So let the countdown to Christmas begin!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Love it! The chocolate-containing Advent calendars were always my favorite as a kid!!

We have a Playmobil animal one this year, given to Kiddo by her godmother. She's way excited about it, but not nearly as excited as I used to be for chocolate!!

Anonymous said...

We have a fabric "santa's workshop" calendar that we use every year. The kids take turns putting the pieces on the picture.

They don't even know about chocolate ones yet.

Siobhan Wolf said...

We use these sturdy cardboard trees that I got one year. Each day is a little box, and each year I refill the boxes with assorted candies, gum, and tr9nkets. The girls love love love this tradition. I wouldn't trade this one for the world.

I love your numbered bags. Chocolate yummy but more options for fun goodies as well.