Tuesday, May 17, 2011

International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO)


Once again I’m proud to be Canadian! Started in Quebec in 2003 by the Fondation Émergence, it has now grown into an international day! They chose May 17th as that was the day that WHO finally took homosexuality off the books as a mental disorder. Yeah, hard to believe that it was only 21 years ago, the same year that I came out, that being gay was no longer considered a disease.

 It’s easy for me - I live in Canada where I can get married, adopt a child, own a house with and walk down the streets holding hands with another woman.  I don't want to forget that so many other Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual and Transgendered people are living their life in fear and that if they were found out they could be jailed or put to death. Today I will be thinking of them as I join the fight against homophobia.


I hope that everyone stands tall and proud today and fights against homophobia.

No comments: