Tuesday, December 29, 2009

NaCH3COO



We got some wonderful reusable heating pads for Christmas. They are some freaky chemical thing that when you "snap" the ferrous disc the sodium acetate concentration goes from a liquid form to a solid form releasing heat as it does. Wikipedia explains it much better then I can. Check it out.

These pictures show the crystals forming after I snapped the disc. It took about 5 seconds for the whole thing to become solid.

I got Hilary this lovely shaped one that sits on your shoulders and holds heat for up to 2 hours.

We went back after Christmas and got the hand warmer size ones to help me with my Raynaud's

Watch as the back one is activated:



And the boiling pot of water with the dishrag in it? In order to reuse the heating pads you have to boil them to turn the crystals back into liquid. The dishrag protects the plastic from coming into contact with the hot metal of the pot. Once they cool down you can do it all over again!

So far this has been the most used Christmas present other then the Wii!

4 comments:

N said...

That is. so. cool. I may have to get myself some of those.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Very cool. Me want.

And I bet mice don't get to them like they did to my woobies.

Beautiful Mess said...

Oh that's really cool! Those would feel so good! I want one now too!
*HUGS*

Caryn said...

That is awesome. I think I need one for my back!