Thursday, February 28, 2008

Raynaud's Disease

From wikipedia:


Raynaud disease (RAY-noz) is a vascular disorder that affects blood flow to the extremities which include the fingers, toes, nose and ears when exposed to temperature changes or stress. It was named after Maurice Raynaud (1834 - 1881), a French physician who first described it in 1862.

When exposed to cold temperatures, the blood supply to the fingertips, toes, nose, and earlobes of Raynaud's disease patients is reduced and the skin turns pale or white
(called pallor) and becomes cold and numb.



I’ve been having Raynaud episodes for the last 5-6 years. Lately it seems to be getting worse. If I don’t dress in layers and keep my trunk warm, you can guarantee that my finger tips will be white within minutes. And it is taking longer to recover from each episode and is getting more painful. My right hand is worse then my left. I’ve never taken a picture of my own hand, but here are some examples of what it looks like:









There is no cure, no magic bullet to fix this. It is just something you have to learn to live with. I can’t wait for summer and warm weather. Then I only have to worry about not holding a cold glass or making sure I put the oven mitts on before I get anything out of the freezer. At least I won’t have to wear 4-5 layers of clothing every day.

2 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Hi, Andy. I was so happy to have you over on my blog. Thanks for playing with me!

This sounds very uncomfortable and more than a little annoying.

I'm thinking that flow might be an issue. I wonder if yoga would help alleviate symptoms? Or tai chi or something along those lines?

Lori

Anonymous said...

I know three people who suffer with it as well Andy...it is a hard thing to handle especially in the cold climates...

DebiP