Monday, February 21, 2011

My Dentist

I love my dentist!  Now before you think I'm crazy or that my dentist likes to turn up the gas a little too high, I will also say that I HATE going to the dentist.

I have always had horrible teeth.  Growing up I averaged 10 cavities a year.  And we had horrible dentists.  The mean kind, that yell at little kids and who seem to go out of their way to make it hurt even more.  As a young adult I finally just stopped going.  I saw no need to put myself through that horror any more.

Till I had a really bad tooth ache.

Even then, I let it go so far that it was abscessed and Oh. So. Painful.  We had just recently moved to Halifax, so I got a recommendation from a co-worker.  And that is when I fell in love with my dentist.  He was kind, gentle and took my fear seriously.  He fixed that tooth and even managed to convince me to go back.   So I did.  And over time I learned to trust him.  He even got me to the point that I could go for appointments without having to be medicated first.

I love him so much that I recommend him to everyone.  Anyone who has ever feared the dentist and goes to see him, falls in love with him too.  I've sent him so many referrals over the years, that he once sent me a huge bouquet of flowers as a thank you.  He is just that great.

So when my tooth started to hurt last week, I thought nothing of picking up the phone and making an appointment.  And not only is he nice and kind and gentle, he always makes time for people.  I've even had him stay past his last appointment to fit me in when I was having a lot of pain.

While I trust him, I'm still pretty scared and tense when I'm in the chair.  So when he finished examining  my tooth today, he and his assistant (who is equally as awesome!) pulled their chairs up on either side of me, knowing that my first thought was going to be to bolt.   And it was.  And unplanned, unprepared for tooth extraction!  You've got to be kidding me.  But I knew that if I left, I wouldn't want to go back, so I put on my big girl panties, started to cry and said okay, let's get 'er done.  I was in and out of the whole appointment in 12 minutes - that included talking me down and waiting for the freezing to take! It didn't even hurt; scared me to death and left me shaking, but didn't hurt.

So if you are in the Halifax area and need an wondrous dentist, be sure to look up Dr. Kirk Blanchard.  He rocks!

2 comments:

Heather said...

OMG - I would've had to be talked down, too! I'm glad you're okay and it wasn't that bad once he started.

Also? Your dentist is kind of a dreamboat - kinda like John Stamos on Glee: a hunky dentist! :-D

My dentist looks like a soccer mom, because she *is* a soccer mom!

http://www.estheticdentistry.net/ said...

Haha, same same. I also hate going to the dental office, but I love my dentist. She's taken care of my teeth for several years now, and every time I go there, she gives me 100% dental satisfaction. It's like I'm in teeth nirvana every time she checks my mouth. It great to have such a nice dentist.