Monday, July 20, 2009

July 20, 1936

On this day, in the small northern town of Foleyette Ontario, Henri Emile Drouin was born, the 7th child, but only the 2nd son, of Marie and Athananse Drouin. They would go on to have 3 more children, giving Henri 8 sisters and 1 brother.

My father and I have a tumultuous relationship. I went many years without speaking to him and then only tolerated him because he was married to my mother. Recently however we have been getting along much better. I can call him now when I'm installing a ceiling fan and don't understand the wiring, or if I am about to renew my mortgage and need someone to explain all the options to me.

Because of my father I went to French school and became bilingual, I learned to cross-country ski, and he helped develop my love for nature and the great outdoors.

Happy 73rd Birthday Dad.


3 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy birthday to your dad! I'm glad you and his relationship has improved over the years.
*HUGS*

SassyCupcakes said...

This is such a sweet, honest & loving post. I hope he had a happy birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

So Andy, you are approaching your 75 birthday as am I. I was also born on July 20, 1936 in Lewiston Maine. My time was about 3 minutes before midnight. How about you? We don't know each other, Andy. I was simply doing some casual Googling and typed in July 20, 1936 and your site was the first to appear. I'm sure that you are a very nice man - nice people born on that date. Be well,
Roger Crane, Lomita, CA
songscout@aol.com