Sunday, May 16, 2010

I just don't get it

Hilary and I have a new TV show obsession.   I'm equally fascinated and appalled by this show.  It is so far from my reality that I watch it in awe.  I don't understand the people, their motivation or really any of it.  I frequently ask myself (or the TV if it's an episode that really confounds me) "What the Hell are you thinking?"  I could NEVER picture myself engaging in this activity.

What TV show could this possibility be you ask?



Why it's Say Yes to the Dress of course!

Even if Hilary and I were to get married one day, it would NOT be in frilly clothes at some big shin-dig.  It would be us, Liam, our friends Sandy and Jason and a justice of the peace.  In and out.  And Hilary would insist on cooking dinner!

  • I don't understand the frill and frou frouness of it all.
  • I really don't understand spending thousands of dollars on a dress that you will wear ONCE.
  • I don't understand the tears and frustration.
  • I really don't understand taking your ENTIRE family shopping with you.
  • And why would anyone let their family influence them so much?  If you like the dress, buy it already!  Who cares what your mother, mother-in-law, sister or boss thinks?  (yes one woman brought her boss too)
And yet, Hilary and I continue to watch the show.  We even record new episodes.  It's kinda like watching a train wreck.  You just can't tear your eyes away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how people allow their families to influence their personal decisions either.

I do get wanting to make a big deal and have a big party though.

I could go either way on that one..but not till it is legal all over the US

Pearl said...

I've not seen the show, although I must admit to having watched "Bridezillas" more than once.

Ahem.

What I don't understand is why you'd consent to be on TV, especially if you know the reputation of the show.

And taking your whole family shopping? Why???

Pearl

Anonymous said...

This obsession with family influence on weddings and stupid behavior by the marrying couple is ridiculous.

However, LOVELY photo.

Also - I got married in the dress of my dreams, complete with giant tulle skirt and ten pounds of beading, for less than $500. I've seen lovely dresses for even less. People, please. It's the Ultimate Prom Dress. Get over this Vera Wang obsession!

Fergus Ray Murray said...

(Photo by me Fergus Ray Murray, free to use with credit)