Sunday, July 18, 2010

Poor Bunny


Liam spent the day out with a friend and they spent the entire afternoon swimming.  While I had gooped Liam up with lots of sunscreen before he left, it's pretty obvious none got reapplied during the day.  He also managed to lose his hat, so any protection he may have gotten from that was lost too.

It is only on his face as he was wearing a long sleeve swim shirt.  He's got a headache but otherwise is in good spirits.  It is however his 2nd sun burn of the season.  It's so hard when he's not with us all day long and we aren't the ones in charge of making sure he gets more sun screen, or goes inside during the sunniest part of the day or even eats something (he left home at 10:30 and came back at 5:30 and all he ate was an apple that I sent him with and  an ice cream cone later in the afternoon.  To their credit they did offer him lunch that he refused, but really.... I don't think it's okay to let a kid refuse to eat ALL day, especially when they are playing hard in the sun, but maybe that's just me)

So my poor pink bunny has been fed, had a nice tepid bath, taken some Tylenol and gone to bed with a cold wash cloth on his face.

It's going to be a long summer.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh that poor kiddo! :-( Have you tried aloe for his burned skin? I have some plain ole aloe vera and some that has lidocaine in it - helps a LOT when I burn.

Would he be more inclined to reapply his own sunscreen if you got him the spray-on kind? My kid does much better about cooperating when I'm spraying on rather than rubbing on...

And yes, letting a kid refuse to eat all day IS ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Heather wrote. They should have made him eat something and reapplied the sunscreen.

Caryn said...

I am so upset that the other parents didn't use their brains and put sunscreen on Liam! This is completely irresponsible. Poor kid! That's one of the worse burns I've seen in a long time. How could they not have noticed that was happening to his eyelids??? I hope he feels a little better this morning.

Also, I definitely would have encouraged him to eat several times and if he didn't, would have called you to see what you wanted me to do. I'm betting if they would have told him he couldn't go back outside until he ate something he would have. Did they provide adequate water?

Sorry to go on and on, but from someone who burns easily and has a couple kids that burn easily, looking at this picture of Liam breaks my heart. This was so preventable with very little effort on their part. I just can't believe it!

(((HUGS)))

SassyCupcakes said...

Ouch. Poor kid. I don't know if you have it over there but the last time I had really bad sunburn what felt best was a green tea & aloe spray made by Le Tan. Nice and cool and you didn't have to touch it to apply it. I'm sure you could make your own. I really hope the other parents feel bad and take a different approach next time.