Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The bed-clothes are out to get me

So a few months ago I had this weird rash-y thing on my neck which we eventually figured out was partially caused by sheet-burn from me rolling over during the night and strangling myself with the sheet.  I learned to wake up just enough to untangle myself and I thought my days of bed-clothing injuries were over.

Alas, it was not to be so.

You see I have this favorite pillow case.  I've had it for 20 plus years so it's nice and soft.  I have no idea where it came from.  It has a flower pattern and was never part of a sheet set that I owned.  It's also a factory 2nd as it has a line of stitching that runs down the middle on the outside.  I just make sure that that side goes on the bottom, otherwise it would run right through my face and would no doubt leave some interesting marks.

Yet it was that very stitching that tried to do me in.

I sleep on my stomach with my arms up over my head and under my pillow. I also am a very active sleeper.  So when I went to roll over for the 40th or 50th time last night I didn't expect searing pain and to wake up holding back a scream less I awaken the whole house hold.  It felt like my finger had been ripped off and I fully expected to find a pool of blood under my pillow with my severed finger.  Except that my hand was attached to my pillow and I couldn't get to it.  I was dazed, confused and in pain.  What the heck was going on?

I finally stayed still long enough to realize that if I stopped moving it didn't hurt and figured out the cause of the whole mess.  My ring was caught in the outside stitching.  And it had twisted around in such a way that the crown part of my  ring was digging into my finger.   I wear a Claddagh ring that Hilary gave me years ago, but it's a bit loose, so the crown doesn't stay right up against my finger.  And it frequently gets caught on things.  I just never imagined that it would get caught on my pillow case.

I was finally able to get the ring off and untangle it.  There was no actual damage to my finger, but it was sore the next day.   So the question now is - Do I get a new pillow case or take my ring off at night?  It's a good thing I sleep au natural, cause I can't imagine what kind of damage pajamas could do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why change anything? You've had the ring for years and the pillow case for longer and this is the first time it happened. Live dangerously!