Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Let's get started

"Today's the day they give babies away
With half a pound of tea.
Just open the lid,
Out jumps a kid,
with half a pound of tea."



When I was little I had a teeny tiny box of little books. And I mean little! The whole box was one inch square and held 10 books! I'll find it later and post a picture.

I have no idea where the books came from, but they were some of my favorites. They included "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears", "Little Red Ridding Hood" and other classics. But they also contained a book of non-sense poems.

And for whatever reasons, it was my favorite book of the lot, and this was my favorite poem. I think it had to do with being raised as not just an only (and lonely) child, but also having been adopted. The idea that you could just go and get a kid! Amazing! and to my young and naive mind it was a wonderful solution to many of my problems. Instant siblings!


But now, as an adult and more so as an adoptive mom, I'm slightly appalled by it. But it's such a catchy little ditti that it will be stuck in my head all week!


So why name a blog after it?

The opening line has really stuck with me:

"Today's the day"
Life is short and the days go by quickly. I want to live life to the fullest so this will be my new mantra.
"Today's the day..............." The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh. I just sob every time I read the poem. For little you, for little K, for everything.

That being said, I totally see why you like it. It's catchy and kind of plaintive.