Monday, October 12, 2009

Continuing a family tradition

When Hilary's Mum and Bill came to visit Liam for the first time, Bill - whom Liam is named after, brought Liam a wonderful gift.


This was Bill's mother's (or possibly Grandmother's, we're going to have to check on that) nursery bell. It is very delicate and makes the most tinkly and pretty bell sound that I have heard. Liam loves to take it out, look at it and give it a ring or two. Until this weekend he was not deemed old enough or careful enough to really handle the bell. But while getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner, Liam undertook the family child-labour task of polishing the silver. With the new fangled "magic gloves", silver polishing is nowhere near the manual labour job that it used to be.The good thing is that Liam thought it was fun! And since we inherited a couple of pieces of silver, it is a good thing as this will now be his official family job, just like it used to be Hilary's when she was little.

7 comments:

N said...

I love this.

Heather said...

That bell is gorgeous!

My mother's father (who was killed in a fishing accident when she was barely 2 years old) was a silversmith. Consequently, my mom has hundreds of pieces of silver, all things her father made. Everything from silverware and serving dishes to candelabras and decorative items. It is the most dreaded job each year at Christmastime to be the unlucky kid stuck with silver polishing duty. Starting around the time I got married, it fell to Hubby and me to do it and we were stuck with the job for several years. The candelabras are the worst, having many, many intricate details and swirls and such. Bleargh.

My sisters and I all joke about who will inherit the silver when the time comes, and how none of us want it because of all the dang polishing! Heh.

Now that I've got the kid, though, I wouldn't mind it, since she's old enough to do the polishing just like Liam! :D

Heather said...

Ooooh I had to comment again because the word verification for this comment is "inspire" and that is really ocol! :D

Heather said...

Okay and now it is "frickers" - I'm such a word nerd, I need to stop looking at the WV combo that comes up as soon as I hit "Publish your comment" or I'll be here all day!

Aunt Becky said...

That is WAY cool.

luna said...

that piece is awesome, and the story is even cooler!

but wow, thanksgiving prep already? when is it there?

Andy said...

Hi Luna,

Canadian Thanksgiving was on Ocotber 12th!