Sunday, October 25, 2009

Primal Wound Book Tour

National Adoption Month is just around the corner. Fellow blogger and adoptive mom Lori has come up with a great idea to generate conversations amongst adoption bloggers (and comment leavers - so no excuses!) Lori writes on her personal blog as well as at Examiner.com. Her great idea is to hold a book tour based on Nancy Verrier's The Primal Wound.

First published in 1993, The Primal Wound has become one of the most controversial books on adoption out there. It tends to generate two camps of people: Those who love it and those who think it's hogwash. I've followed many a heated discussion on various adoption forums as people from both camps have tried to persuade others to join them in their thinking. And sometimes it's gotten pretty ugly!

Confession time: I've never actually read the book! And until Lori asked me to join the tour I had no plans on ever reading it. All the controversy, the fighting and arguing was enough for me. I try to avoid conflict in all areas of my life, and this has been one discussion that I just never felt up to getting pulled into. But I'm willing to give it a go. Admittedly I've always been curious. So I ordered my copy and it arrived on Friday.

So come on an join us! Below you can find out all about how the book tour works and where to go to sign up. We hope to get some great conversations going and want to include all types of people from all sides of adoption. I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions and questions. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot.... what can you come teach me and what will you learn?

How will the Book Tour work?

  • Sign up for the tour by November 30. Sooner is better -- why not now? EVERYONE wanting to explore the mosaic that is adoption is invited to join.
  • Get the book. Buy it or get it from the library. Soon. Read it.
  • Come up with up 1 or 2 discussion questions (not Yes-or-No), which are due to Lori by November 30.
  • By December 5, you'll receive a list of questions from other participants. From this list you will choose any 3 to answer on your own blog or space (one option is simply to comment on the Examiner page the day of the tour). You do not have to have a blog to participate.
  • Have your answers to your chosen questions posted by December 12.
  • On the tour day, links to participants' answers will be on the Examiner page. You can then read and comment on the answers from other people who have read and are discussing The Primal Wound. The tour is designed so that each person reads and comments respectfully on the thoughts of other participants.

To participate: please complete this form. If you have any questions at all, please contact Lori at bestlightlori at the gmail place.

The purpose here is to shed light rather than to make heat. A panel of three people living in various corners of adoption will help set and maintain a respectful tone for this tour. They are:

  • FauxClaud from Musings of the Lame Claudia is a firstmom who has reunited with her birthson after 18 years apart -- truly an amazing story.
  • Luna at Life From Here has embraced open adoption with open eyes and an open heart.
  • And me! I'll be wearing my adoptee hat for this, but I know that I can't completely keep my adoptive mama thoughts at bay.

3 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Thank you, Andy. I, too, have been hesitant to read, so I decided to give myself a kick in the backside.

We are getting a good turnout so far. I am excited for some civil discourse about this book.

Thanks a million for your involvement!

Heather said...

You are brave! I've read the book and will talk with most anyone one-on-one. But it's one of those subjects I refuse to discuss online. Too much blood shed over the years--I don't have the guts.

Hopefully you guys will start a new trend of civil "Primal Wound" discussion. :)

Thanksgivingmom said...

Already signed up!

And a little terrified to be honest.....hope I can find those "guts" Heather's talking about!