Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blackout!

 
After 24 hours of high wind and heave rain, our power finally went out.

Luckily we have a tonne of candles and candle holders, none of which we use on a day to day basis, but are perfect for a blackout.

We even have the little holders that you can walk around with and feel like Laura Ingles getting ready for bed.  Liam thought the blackout was fun.....for the first hour. The power went out at 6:00 PM, so a long evening of boredom stretched before us.  Luckily I had picked up a small toy a few weeks ago that I had squirreled away till we needed it, so I set up a scavenger hunt for him with the new toy as a prize at the end.  The night wasn't so boring after that.

Bed time was another story however!  Liam is used to having a light on so he can read in bed and he listens to music as he falls asleep.  Neither of those were happening last night. He came and cuddle on the couch with me for a bit, and I ended up lying in bed with him and singing him to sleep.  It was nice! I haven't done that in a long time.

Our other major obstacle was that Hilary had to get up for work at 5:30 this morning.  I offered to stay up till the power came back on so I could set the alarm clock.  However by 10:00 PM I was fading fast.  I racked my brain for what I could do.  I think the power company could make a lot of money if they offered a wake up call service when there are power outages!! It finally came to me!  Liam's DS game has a clock feature on it, and YUP, and alarm feature too.  I tested it out then set it for 5:30 and off to bed I went.  Turns out the power came back on 30 minutes later, but oh well, I was at least prepared!


No comments: