Friday, February 19, 2010

My eyes!

I have worn glasses all day, every day since I was about 13 years old. That’s a long time! I have eye issues {shudder} so the idea of contacts has never, ever entered my mind. It once took 5 grown men to hold me down to put in eye drops. I’ve never needed a very strong prescription, but lately I’ve noticed that I’ve started to do something that I had hoped would never happen.

That's Life

Yup, I’m holding things as far away as I can in order to read them. Suddenly the small print on pill bottles is illegible. Suspiciously this is all starting to happen in the year I turn 40. Coincidence? I doubt it.

So I went off to the eye Doctor expecting to need a stronger prescription. I was really hoping that he wasn’t going to bring up the B-word *. Of course at the end of his exam, what is the first word out of his mouth? You guessed it, the B-word. BUT he was saying that he was NOT going to give me those as my distance vision has continued to improve to the point that I no longer need to wear glasses all the time, but just need them for reading! WOOT WOOT.

It was the strangest feeling to walk out of there with my glasses in my purse. I felt naked! And a wee bit dizzy. He says that should pass pretty quickly as I get used to not wearing the glasses all the time. So now I get to pick out new frames for my reading glasses. And try to condition myself to take my glasses off every time I walk away from the computer. I WILL NOT be one of those old ladies that wear my reading glasses on a chain around my neck. I plan to be the cool chick who wears her glasses on the top of her head when she doesn’t need them.

*bi-focals - a sure sign that middle age is creeping up on you.

3 comments:

Caryn said...

I started needing bi-focals at 32. I have no eye issues, so wore reading glasses over my contacts. I ended up having to have several pairs made to keep throughout the house and in my purse, because I kept misplacing them. I can't seem to pull off the on top of the head trick. One of best days of my life was discovering daily bi-focal contact lenses. :)

Enjoy your new freedom from glasses!

Anonymous said...

Just don't forget that they are on top of your head and then spend an hour looking for them.

Heather said...

I've *barely* passed the bifocal test for the past 3 years. The first year the eye doc made me even do the test I was all offended. "DUDE, I'm only 33!!!" Now I go in each year resigned to the fact that I'll fail.... and I pass again, however barely (I do notice doing the arm-in-and-out and squinting over the top of my glasses thing a lot more each year...)

I totally want to get some funky chains for my reading glasses, if I ever have a pair of just reading glasses. Given how little I wear my contacts these days because of my Evil Eye Ick Issues, I will more than likely wind up bifocaltastic! :-P