Thursday, April 3, 2008

Blood Test Update

Sorry that I didn't get back here sooner with the results! It is good news! All the tests for Celiac, Inflammatory Bowel, Crohn's etc.. are all fine. The only one out of wack is my Vitamin B12 (the nurse could have been MUCH more clear about that when she phoned!!)

So now I have to pick up a prescription and take it to the Dr.'s office and she will give me a B12 shot 3 days a week for the next 3 weeks, and then we will retest.

I will still have the ultra-sound and X-ray done to see if she can find what is causing me to not absorb B12. She wonders if I may have had a viral infection that caused gastroenteritis, so that the lining of my stomach is inflammed and not able to absorb it efficiently. Since my B12 level was perfectly fine when she did my blood work last year, this is something fairly recent.

I will also continue to take the Pantaloc for another month (since I've been feeling GREAT since I started it) and then I'll go off it for a month and see what happens.

So over all good news! My blood sugar was also fine, as was my cholesterol. WooHoo bring on the red wine and cheese!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good news on those fronts...vitamin B12 shots can be painful...I will send positive thoughts your way that they are not for you...You are not anemic right? You are not taking any Folic acid right? Have you had a chance to read up on Mal-absorbtion of B12?? I have a little if you are interested...believe me when I tell you that I know how it feels...Debi

Anonymous said...

One more thing...take it or leave it..


Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) include omeprazole (Prilosec®, Losec®), lansoprazole (Prevacid®), rabeprazole (Aciphex®), pantoprazole (Protonix®, Pantoloc®), and esomeprazole (Nexium®). The reduced secretion of gastric acid and pepsin produced by PPIs can reduce absorption of protein-bound (dietary) vitamin B12, but not supplemental vitamin B12. Gastric acid is needed to release vitamin B12 from protein for absorption. Reduced vitamin B12 levels may be more common with PPIs than with H2-blockers, because they are more likely to produce achlorhydria (complete absence of gastric acid secretion). However, clinically significant vitamin B12 deficiency is unlikely, unless PPI therapy is prolonged (two years or more) or dietary vitamin intake is low. Vitamin B12 levels should be monitored in people taking high doses of PPIs for prolonged periods.

Andy said...

Thanks Debi, that's intresting about the PPIs... wonder if my doctor knows about this???