Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My birth father Ken


Lately I've been thinking a lot more about my birth father, Ken, and his children. They are my 1/2 siblings just as much as Iris's daughter is. Do I look like them? Share mannerisms? I don't really look like Iris or Madelaine, and Iris has said before that I favour Ken more then her.

I believe that I have enough information that I could find his family if I wanted to. I know that city that he lived and died in, in fact it's the same city that I grew up in and will be visiting soon. I know the day he died and his first name, so finding his obituary should not be that hard. I'm sure the public library there would have old newspapers on file, it was only 7 years ago.

What I struggle with is what I would do with that information if I had it? I have more or less promised Iris that I would not interrupt anyone's life, or come knocking on doors, exposing her secret to all the world. And I COMPLETELY understand that. I especially understand her fears of telling Madelaine, who suffers from mental illness, has been suicidal in the past and who has just been laid off from her job of 24 years.

Yet I still wonder - What about me? What about my rights to know? And maybe my father's children would want to know too. Or maybe they would be so angry to find out that their father was involved in an extra-marital affair for more then 40 years that they would not want anything to do with me. And what about his wife? What would it do to her to find out that her husband had a child with another woman? Then again, I also wonder how it's possible for 2 people to have an affair for more then 40 years and no one knew about it? Did Ken's family know about Iris, but just chose not to say anything for the sake of the family?

None of us is getting any younger, so the window of opportunity is not as big as it once was. Ken has already died. Iris is 77 and not in great health. Ken's children would be between 55-60 now. How does one even go about contacting someone in a situation like this? With Iris, everything went through a Social worker, who kept both mine and Iris's identity private until we were both willing to share with each other on our own. Do I find them and just write a letter? "Dear so and so... I'm your 1/2 sister. Surprise!"

So many things to ponder. My trip to my hometown is in June. I think that I will end up at the library while I'm there, even if just to get the info while I can. What I do with it..... who knows.

3 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Wow. Those are great questions.

I'm trying to put myself in the siblings' position to see how I would like to be approached.

And I find no easy answers.

But I do think you have a right to investigate.

Anonymous said...

what about you..I agree...and who is to say that having a 1/2 sister would be a bad thing for M.....it might be just the thing her life needs...and what about when Iris does die...M will not have anyone...I mean she live with your mom for Pete Sake...she will be alone...lots to ponder and decide on...

Debi

Heather said...

Oh (((Andy))) You know that I have this same dilemma - my bmom has repeatedly requested that I never, ever contact my bfather or any of his (at best guess TEN) children. I have honored her request for over 12 years now, but I do wonder why do I need to be fair to her - what about ME? Of course in my situation there's the added fact that I wasn't conceived consensually (if my bmom has told me the truth) so assuming that's true, what the heck would I say to him? She has told me variously that he never knew she got PG, that he knew but denied it was him, or that he knew and didn't give a damn. Either way, not really a "ring the doorbell and say HELLO" type situation. Ditto for contacting his kids - they certainly don't know about me, and how would one say that? "Hi, I'm your half sister because your scummy father raped my birthmother when she was 15 and babysitting for your siblings...." Yikes.

It is the suckiest of sucky places to be stuck, that's for sure. If you wanted to send a letter and wanted some level of anonymity, I'd be happy to be an intermediary for you - we could rent a PO box here and send letters that way and see what they respond. Just a thought...

(((((((HUGS)))))))) You know where I am if you need me, sweetie!!