Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Adoption talk

As a parent it is my job to teach Liam about all sorts of things. And most of this teaching is done through repetition ~ Look both ways before you cross the street, don't pick your nose, remember to say please and thank you. Other topics get repeated, just not daily ~ babies grow in their mummy's uterus, everyone dies eventually, light sabers aren't actually real.

For most topics I don't think twice about how often I repeat them. We are a car-less family who walks everywhere, so rules on how to cross the street safely may get repeated 20 times a day. When we are in a big Star Wars kick, the topic of light sabers comes up a lot. Seeing friends who are pregnant offers to the opportunity for a chat on the birds and the bees.

The struggle I have is when to bring up the topic of adoption, or more specifically, Liam's adoption. I don't want to push the topic on him if he doesn't want or need to talk about it, but I also want him to know that it's an okay topic to talk about. I will casually mention adoption in general whenever an opportunity comes up, usually using my own adoption as a conversation opener. I let Liam know that I think about my first mother, wonder how she's doing, or that I'm planning to call her because I miss her.

The opportunity to bring up his own adoption doesn't present itself very often. Our friend Sandy is pregnant and due in February, so that offers a vaulting point into conversations about how Liam grew in "K"s belly.

So last night I decided that I would bring up the topic of his adoption specifically. And tub time seemed like a good time to do it. The 2 of us alone with minimal distractions. I asked him if he thought about being adopted, or if kids at school ever asked him questions about it. He didn't have much to say about it, but did say that no one at school has ever asked him about it. The conversation morphed into having 2 Mums and not having a Dad, but how he still has a father who helped make him with "K". We've never really covered the topic of a father before, so I wanted to ensure that he didn't think he was miraculously conceived! We don't have much info on his father, but he didn't seem that interested in finding out anything at this time anyway.

He asked about his birth which led to me correcting his understanding of the process as a whole! His idea? "How do they crack the women open to get the baby out?" I cleared that one up, but did tell him that he was born by c-section. He was worried that it had hurt "K" and was relieved to hear that it didn't because she had medicine, just like he did when he had his tonsils out (I figure this was close enough, I didn't feel like explaining epidurals on top of every thing else!) During all of this I mentioned, as I've mentioned countless times before, the "K" loved him very much.

This time he asked the BIG question. If she loved him why did she give him away? (of note, we have NEVER used "give away" when we talk about adoption, so he's come to that conclusion on his own) I explained what I knew - it was not the right time for her to be a Mummy to 2 little boys (she was already raising her son "C"), she couldn't look after Liam the way she wanted to so she made an adoption plan and asked us to be his parents. After a moment of silence he declared "I don't want to talk about this anymore it's making me too sad." I acknowledge that it can be sad to think about and we moved on.

I still don't know the magic formula of how often we should talk about adoption. Do I wait for him to bring it up next? What if he doesn't? I think I will continue my approach of mentioning it casually whenever I can (but not excessively) and hope that he knows that it's an okay subject to bring up wheneve he wants.

6 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Good for Liam to tell you what he's feeling! He's seems really mature for his age. You and Hillary are doing an amazing job of raising that little man! I don't have any experience in adoption, but we've always gone with "if they ask, then we talk to them about it". Or if we feel it's something needs attention, we'll start with a question and then allow them to take it from there. Keep up the great work!
Hugs

Heather said...

Oh (((hugs))) for you, my friend and twin. :) I have the same exact approach too, though we haven't had that question made yet - the "if she loved me, why'd she give me away" one. Though, thinking back on it, I don't think *I* ever had that question, either. I don't think it was particularly because my parents were super-awesome at explaining things to me (ha ha HA) but more that it seemed a basic fact that since my birthmom was just a teenager when I was born, she couldn't keep me - *wanting* to or not wasn't ever an issue in my mind. KWIM?

I'm sure though that Kiddo will have this same question as Liam, since the circumstances were different for her. So far, we've only ever had the exact same conversation - a retelling of how she was born and came to be with us - without that awareness of her birthparents' feelings yet... I know it will come though, and I'm selfishly glad I have you several months ahead of me (at least) in going through this all!

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Posts like this are so valuable for me to read because I fret about the same things. Our Little Lassie is only 2, but I'm already wondering how to make adoption part of our regular vocabulary. She was raised by her birth family for a year before they made an adoption plan, so I'm sure I'll get some whopper questions when the time comes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

and FWIW, I think you have a great plan of casually mentioning it thus letting Liam know its a safe subject.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

It's much easier to teach about crossing the street, isn't it?

I love the way you struck up this conversation and answered his questions.

Andy said...

@ Heather(aka my twin!)

I don't ever remember asking *that* question either.... I'll have to check with my Mom. In my case I thought my first mom was a widower raising a 7 year old, so it just kinda made sense that she chose adoption....I think.

Anonymous said...

hello darling,

it does become an easier conversation as they get older - and a matter of pride as little j has shown m and me. j has finally begun telling his own story to others and it is wonderful to examine the moment with him later, usually on our ride home. keep up the fantastic conversation.

all the best to all of you from the other coast.