Thursday, January 15, 2009

Love Thursday


I grew up in a family that never says "I love you". I've blogged before about how I can't bring myself to say it to my Mom even now, 38 years later.

Hilary and I say it to each other all the time. We end each phone call with "I love you" and we start and stop each day with it. It even gets thrown in during the day. And it's not just saying it for the sake of saying it. It's said with feeling and truth and honesty.

So it's no wonder that Liam is growing up to include "I love you" as a big part of his day. (and as a side note: he says it to my Mom all the time and she responds with "I love you", so she is capable.)

Lately our "I love you's" with Liam have morphed into a new game. It actually started a long time ago while reading Guess How Much I Love You? For the longest time he would make up things that were as far away as he could imagine: "I love you all the way to Pluto and back and then around the world three times and over the moon." Now it's become a competition that goes like this:


Me: Good Night Liam, I love you.
Liam: Good Night Mama, I love you more.
Me: No Way! I love you the mostest.
Liam: I love you more then you love me.


This can actually go on for several minutes before I have to concede that he does indeed love me more.
It warms my heart every time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post and exactly what I needed to hear today. My partner and I also start and end our days with honest mentions of love, and it's far from the way I was raised. I'm glad to see it working for other people too. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you all say I LOVE YOU...even when said hastily it still makes a person feel good so imagine how you feel when there is real meaning behind it. We have long played the I love you game here too...it morphed from the book as well. I have heard my boys play it too and that totally warms my heart. I tel them so much that I love them that one day Spence said to me mom do you think I forget that you love me...I said no of course not but the more I say it to you the more I hear back from you...

PS my verification word is REVEL...what timing...