Monday, July 28, 2008

Soccer Update

I am so disappointed in myself.

As nervous as I was, I *knew* that I could do it and do a good job.

We got there early, got everything set up and waited for the folks to arrive. 2 dads introduced themselves and said that they had offered to help out but had never heard back from the coach. I said that I had offered to run things, but would be appreciative of any help they wanted to offer.

The Mr. "I'm a big man and I know everything" took over. He's the kind of sports dad that you dread having on your kids team. Pushes his kid hard, is bossy and loud and has the most obnoxious little snot of a kid. He's one step shy of the line of berating his kid and being cruel, but I suspect as the kid gets older and into more "organized" sports that the line will be long gone.

I stayed on the field and helped, but from the get go he was running the show. And really I wouldn't have cared, except that Liam cared. He knew that Mama was supposed to in charge and he didn't understand why I wasn't and why he had to listen to this man.

And that is why I'm disappointed. I didn't have it in me to stand up to this guy and show Liam the type of leadership that I want him to have one day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Andy, that sucks for you and Liam - and all the other kids on the team! :( I'm sorry that Evil Sports Dad Dude showed up and did his evil sports dad thing. Yuck!!

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I hate evil sport dads....hate them...I am sorry that you feel you let Liam down...let yourself down too...I think that you will fall back on this the next time you are in a similar place and will remember you want to stand up. It is so hard when there is an overpowering person to deal with...for Liam this will be in his short term memory and gone before you know it. He knows he has spectacular moms and that is what really matters. No hug from me your a good mom and this was just a hitch in the game so to speak...now go on and keep being a good mom..life will present you with many more opportunities to show Liam how to do it all right.