Thursday, July 31, 2008

Open adoption

I've been thinking about open adoption a lot lately. What it means to the adoptive parents, to the first parents but especially to the adoptee.

Recently there has been another situation where adoptive parents have closed an open adoption for no apparent reason. The first mother is not a physical threat, she doesn't show up high, she isn't stealing from them. And even if she was, that wouldn't be grounds to close an adoption, at least in my opinion. Find a safe way to have contact, get a mediator, meet in public places. Sure! all good things to do, because yes, safety should come first. But you can still have safety and maintain an open adoption.

As an adoptive parent I cannot fathom having to look Liam in the eye one day and say "Yes, we had contact with your first family, but we decided it wasn't healthy for you, so we packed up and moved, didn't tell them where we went and stopped sending them pictures and updates." I suppose that the type of people who do close adoptions like this are also likely to be the type of people that can lie to their child too, so maybe they won't have this problem.

At a personal level I am dealing with the opposite problem. It is "K" who has chosen to "close" Liam's adoption. I'm not sure if I can even label the adoption as ever having been open. Yes, we all know each other's names (first and last), we've shared addresses and phone numbers and there was a time when the adults chatted fairly regularly with each other. But "K" and Liam have never met. Not when he was born and not since. He's seen pictures, even has one of her up in his bedroom. But does that really make an adoption "open"?

Open adoption is such a mine-field of emotions for everyone involved, that it's really hard to know what the right thing to do is. Liam is currently oblivious to "K" not being in his life, mainly because she never has been. But the time is coming, and soon, that he is going to question why that is. Why do we have a picture but we can't meet her? Whey do we send letters and cards and gifts but we never hear back? Why do "C" and "J" live with her and I don't?

When this time comes, I am going to have to pick sides. Obviously I will pick Liam's. As much as I would like to protect "K" from hurt, my first priority is to Liam. And if getting him what he needs hurts her in the process.... well, I'll deal with that as best as I can at the time.

My biggest fear is that one day it will be too much for her, and she will be the one to pack up and move and not tell us where. And I wil have to look Liam in the eye and try to tell him why. Why her feelings were more important to her then his. Why she could walk away. Why it hurts so much to be rejected by your own mother.

6 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

I cannot even imagine. I seriously cannot.

Heather said...

You know that we're in a similar boat regarding contact being sporadic/nonexistent from the bfam side....... you know I hear you. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't, not for you, not for L with her situation, not for anyone involved in a suddenly-closed, formerly (more?) open adoption. *sigh*

Of course you will take Liam's side, that's your job. As I've said before (not necessarily here on your blog, of course), I think it is all the parents' - adoptive and birth - job to take the child's side.

And yeah, it is going to be majorly awful when the day comes that we have to explain to our children why their other family didn't put them first, at least in terms of contact and keeping the lines of contact open.

(((((HUGS)))))

Anonymous said...

I know that our adoption will always stay open as Gma and Gpa are very involved. Birthmom not so much..she is I guess moving on with her life..marriage and the thought of more children...

I have thought about you and this situation and what I might do...I think I would write a delicate letter and let her know how you are feeling as a mom and an adoptee...how you think this will effect your son and how it can change.

Just a thought I think about you and this situation alot...I know you would like it to be way more.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I, too, worry about what may (or may not) happen when my son cognitively "gets" that his birthparents are around but his sister's are.

And yet, I need to trust that they are doing the best they can.

You're such a compassionate mom and person, Andy.

Unknown said...

Ugh Andy, you know we have been through this. The off and on again contact. The moving. The phone numbers that change repeatedly. Disappearance. Its hard. And there is no denying it. Its hard on the kids involved. I guess all you can do is walk it out. Be honest, be sensitive and be prepared to comfort when needed. My boys, as they have gotten older, and certainly after the reunion, understand the reasons why.

Thanksgivingmom said...

As a firstmom myself, I absolutely support your decision to choose Liam's side - there isn't any other option. You're his Mom :) As firstparents, yes, we deal with all kinds of our own demons - dealing with visits (or lack thereof), updates (or lack thereof), the grief and loss, but it's not something we should put on our children or on their parents. It's ours.

And I completely agree with the very beginning of your post - parents that close adoptions for whatever lame reason are not going to explain to their children that it was because of *insert lame reason* They'll say it's because the child didn't like the bmom, or because bmom stopped wanting visits, any "reason" that doens't paint them in a bad light. It's not right, but I fear it's what happens all too often.


Ourboys...I don't necessarily think that because your sons bmom isn't as involved means that she's successfully "moving on" with her life. It may be a way of coping for her right now, but it doesn't mean "moving on." I do hope for your son she is able to be more involved at some point.