Friday, August 22, 2008

On Top of Spaghetti




We have a tendency of bursting into song at home for no apparent reason. Sometimes a certain word will trigger it (Stop always gets a Diana Ross impersonation) other times the mood just strikes us and off we go. So it wasn't unusual during Liam's bedtime routine the other night that I started belting out a slow, dirge like version of "On Top of Spaghetti".

I have a problem though. I can never remember the lyrics to songs, so I make up my own. Drives Hilary bonkers!


On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled through the garden,
and onto the road
and then my poor meatball,
was eaten by a toad.
*last verse is my personal version*


I would like to say that in hindsight I could have forseen what was coming, but it was so bizarre that there was no way to have predicted it.

Liam burst into hysterical tears.

I realize that I am not a great singer, or probably even a good singer. I have lousy rhythm and can't hold a tune.... but I've never made anyone CRY!

I quickly scooped him up and cuddled on the couch, trying to figure out what was wrong.. had his appendix burts, was he in pain, were fairies poking him with sharp sticks? Between gulping, body wracking sobs I got the answer:

"That poor Meatball !!!!!!!!!!"


I won't be signing that again any time soon!

21 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Too funny!

I hope the toad didn't get run over on the road.

Mama Bear said...

that is hilarious! I love your verse!

Jill said...

awwwwwww How adorable and funny!

Marie said...

That is funny I bet you had a hard time not laughing!

Aunt Becky said...

Awww! That's so sweet. And hilarious. Cool kid you've got there, Andy.

Kim said...

Oh No! You just never know where their imagination will go! thanks for stopping by! iclw

Fifty K said...

Wow, that is great!!! Very funny. We are singers in our house too. We are always making up new words to existing songs.

kateypie35 said...

Hi there!! Here from ICLW...

...we have a completely different version of the spaghetti song over here....try this one out and maybe Liam will feel better?

The same til the last verse:

It rolled into the garden
and under a bush
and then my poor meatball
was nothing but mush
the mush was as tasty
as tasty could be
and early next summer
it grew into a tree

the tree was all covered
with beautiful moss
and lots of spaghetti
and tomato sauce

so when you're having spaghetti
all covered with cheese
hold onto your meatball
and dont ever sneeeze
AND DONT EVER SNEEEEEEEEEZE
*jazz hands*

See, the meatball didn't die, it grew? Happy happy!!

Nic said...

Brilliant!!!

aren't kids so fabulously (?!) unpredictable.

I had a long conversation with my oldest this morning, explaining her growing 'bits and bobs' (boys 'stuff') would be rather difficult.

Note I didn't say impossible. I pick my battles ;-)

Beautiful Mess said...

*laughing* Aww that poor little guy. I am with you on the singing thing. I can NOT sing to save my life. No wait, I take that back. I am perfectly able to sing, but do it in the correct tune where nobody is running from the room covering the ears, or worse, trapped in the car banging their head against the windows..which is the case normally..I do not have that gift. I am humored and that's very nice of my family and friends. I love it when they lie to me when I KNOW they are...in this case ;o) Thanks for reading my blog and toasting with me. Gotta love those good days!
Have a great one!
-D *ICLW*

CappyPrincess said...

LOL, the title alone had me humming the tune - and my coworker wanted to know if I was crazy or what. LOL

I wouldn't let one hysterical laugh keep you from singing. Just think of all the embarassing things you can sing about him when he's a teenager and you're still making up lyrics.

ICWL

Raggedy Ann said...

Oh your sweet Liam! Loved the story. I feel guilty now cuz we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I remember making up the wrods as i sang along. I've forgotten so many songs since moving to Portugal.

Carrie27 said...

You sang that better then I would have. I don't think I would have gotten past the first couple lines, and at least you still attempted to rhyme. LOL!

Anonymous said...

LOL.

Any time I try to sing I get a hand held up to my mouth and told to SHHH Mama!

Stacie said...

Aww! What a sweet story! Priceless!

Anonymous said...

Too hilarious. I too break out into song. You know the internet craze that was going around several years ago with the banana that sang, "Peanut Butter Jelly Time?" If you have no idea what I'm talking about check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4 - I have a feeling you would like it. Anyway, I can NOT make my son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without singing that song and dancing the entire time. He thinks it's hilarious and knows the whole song by heart now (at 2.5 years old). Music makes even the most mundane jobs less of a drag!

Andi said...

I like the Tea book at the top of your blog. :-)

M de P said...

What a cute story!! So sweet. We are also fans of making up lyrics in our household. My favorite is when my husband makes up lyrics to songs in English that he can't really understand (he's a native Spanish speaker).

Daughter, Wife and Mom! said...

OMGosh how funny. You never know when they are going to laugh or cry.

ICLW

Jessica White said...

Poor kid: Too funny though!

ICLW

Keri said...

Hahaha! My brother makes up songs, but they're mostly harmless ones about chicken or cheese on toast, and no-one gets eaten.

Apart from the cheese on toast. And the Chicken.

Ah, I see the dilemma all too clearly!