Friday, August 22, 2008

On Top of Spaghetti




We have a tendency of bursting into song at home for no apparent reason. Sometimes a certain word will trigger it (Stop always gets a Diana Ross impersonation) other times the mood just strikes us and off we go. So it wasn't unusual during Liam's bedtime routine the other night that I started belting out a slow, dirge like version of "On Top of Spaghetti".

I have a problem though. I can never remember the lyrics to songs, so I make up my own. Drives Hilary bonkers!


On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled through the garden,
and onto the road
and then my poor meatball,
was eaten by a toad.
*last verse is my personal version*


I would like to say that in hindsight I could have forseen what was coming, but it was so bizarre that there was no way to have predicted it.

Liam burst into hysterical tears.

I realize that I am not a great singer, or probably even a good singer. I have lousy rhythm and can't hold a tune.... but I've never made anyone CRY!

I quickly scooped him up and cuddled on the couch, trying to figure out what was wrong.. had his appendix burts, was he in pain, were fairies poking him with sharp sticks? Between gulping, body wracking sobs I got the answer:

"That poor Meatball !!!!!!!!!!"


I won't be signing that again any time soon!
Post a Comment