Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 15 - The Unexpected

The Unexpected:  Is there an area of your life that most people would not suspect has been affected by your adoption in which being adopted has been an issue? How do you handle that area when discussing with other people?

  


 I skipped the Day 14 prompt as I didn't really have anything to say on it and I already had 2 posts scheduled for the 19th for my Daring Kitchen Challenge and the Adoption Blogger interview.


I was struggling with what to write for this prompt, so I read it aloud to Hilary who was in another room.  She's very good at dead-pan humour and shouted back to me "It made you gay."  Which made me snort and spit things all over the laptop screen.

But it did get me thinking about my adoption/gay connection.  It is an area of my life that has an adoption connection, thought I wouldn't say that it has been "affected" by my adoption.   And most people do not suspect the connections.

The connections, you see, come from both my first family AND my adoptive family.  I could be the poster lesbian for the nature vs. nurture debate of what causes gayness.

In my adoptive family, I grew up with 2 uncles, both only 8 and 10 years older than I am, that are both gay.  I was very close them when I was growing up and even hung out in gay bars and parties with them before I self-identified as a lesbian.

In my first family, I have a 1/2 sister on my father's side who is also a lesbian. While I have never met her, we do share DNA.

So did either of these connections cause me to be a lesbian?  I don't think so, I think they are much more coincidental.  If I were straight, we would never even consider the conversation: "Well I have 2 straight uncles and my 1/2 sister was straight, so that must be why I am."

I don't think anything cause me to be a lesbian.  It just is who I am. But it does make for an interesting conversation about unexpected adoption connections.

No comments: