Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3 - Blogging Adoption and Everyday Life


 Blogging Adoption and Everyday Life. How is blogging about adoption different from blogging about other topics? Do you maintain an non-adoption blog on top of adoption blogging? If so, how do they differ?

I blog about all sorts of things here at Today’s the Day, from adoption to family to cooking. I also have 3 other blogs – recipes, photography and weight loss. Blogging about adoption has a much more emotional charge to it than any of the other topics I cover, with maybe the exception of some parenting stuff. Putting yourself and your story out there can be very cathartic, but it can also be soul wrenching. Which is one of the reasons I took a break from blogging about adoption; that and I just didn’t seem to have anything new to say. But even with the long break, my count for adoption related posts is still the highest.

Adoption topics also have the potential to be more controversial, especially since I’m an adoptee who adopted. I just don’t fit some peoples molds, and that seems to bother them for some reason. Add into that the fact that I’m a lesbian who has adopted, and there is a whole other group of people up in arms. On the other hand, a nice long post about making homemade pasta never seems to upset people.

But one of the best differences is the support I get from readers. While friends also cheer me on (or up) when I’m facing parenting concerns, it’s always the support during adoption related issues that I appreciate the most. Maybe because those issues can leave you raw in their own unique way.

No comments: