Adoptee connections: Did you know many adoptees growing up? Do you know more now? How have adoptee friendships (online or in-real-life) impacted your experience? How do you generally make adoptee connections?
At every stage of my life I've had friends, family and acquaintances who were also adopted.
- Out of 10 kid in my elementary classes, 2 of us were adopted
- My parent's best friend was adopted, as was her sister, so I had a grown up adoptee to turn to when I needed to
- I babysat 2 kids who were adopted - this one bothered me the most because the boys (ages 7 and 10ish) had not been told they were adopted, even though 2 of their aunts are the woman in my point above. I very much wanted to tell them about their past, but 13 year old me had sense enough not to do that!
- At one point in my working career there were 4 of us that worked in a small office area - 3 were adoptees and 2 of us were adoptive parents
- My current group of 12 coworkers has 3 adoptees in it
- In my adoptive family I have 6 cousins who were also adopted
- We recently found out and reconnected with Hilary's older 1/2 brother who was placed for adoption when he was born
- I've made many online connections through blogs and forums with other adoptees
- One of our best friends is an adoptee
- Other good friends of our recently adopted
- Even my own kid is adopted!