Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 20 - Jealousy

Jealousy. Nobody’s perfect and sometimes we become jealous of other people (just as others become jealous of us). Has a non-adopted person told you they were jealous of you? If so, how did that make you feel? How did you respond? If you are in reunion, has jealousy come into play at all? For example, if you have siblings, have they expressed jealousy about a difference in lifestyle? Are you jealous of them? How do you handle this? If you are not in reunion, do you harbor any jealousy toward anyone? If not, why do you think that is?

I  really do hate it when non-adopted people tell me they are jealous and wished they were adopted too.  They don't understand the consequences of what they are wishing for.  I try to correct them, but they often down't want to hear it and pishaw what I say as silly ramblings of someone who must be bitter about something, since adoption is ALWAYS rainbows and unicorns.

In reunion I have had brief moments of jealousy that my sister Madelaine was not put up for adoption and got to grow up with our mother.  But knowing all the things I know now about her life and her struggles, I am no longer jealous.

I'm often jealous of non-adopted people for little things:  siblings that look like, shared ancestral knowledge, being able to answer simple medical questions.

Adoption apparently breeds jealousy on many fronts.

No comments: