Saturday, June 14, 2008

Polydactyl cats

3 out of our 4 cats are polydactyl. The three of them all have opposible thumbs and are polydactyl on all 4 paws. And none are related to each other.

From Wikipedia:
A polydactyl cat is a cat with a congenital physical anomaly, with more than usual number of toes on one or all of its paws as a result of a cat body type
genetic mutation.

Non-mutant cats have 5 toes on each of their front paws and 4 on the back, for a total of 18 toes.
The record holder had 32 in total!


This is Edgar. He was our first cat, and he has the most toes. He has 26 in total - 7 on each front foot and 6 each on the back.

Oscar has 23 toes, 6 each on the front and 6 on one back foot and 5 on the other.

Hazel is also polydactyl, but she hates me! so there will be no pictures of her. She is a one person cat, and that person is Hilary. However, since I am the offical nail cutter in the family (and with all these toes, that is no small job!) I do get to do her nails. Hilary will catch her and transfer her to my lap, generally with very little blood shed! Hazel has 24 toes in total - 6 per foot.
Alice is odd man out with her non-mutant toes! There's one in every family!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! I have never heard of this before! My oldest and my brother's son are both color blind. But the gene is carried by the mother. since my sil and I are not related it is really strange that our kids are both color blind! Not at all about cats, but I thought it related to genetic issues...? NCLM

Fiddle1 said...

Liam looks so cute in your post a few days ago! That is a good idea..snapping a pic on the first and last days of school. He's grown so much! I'll have to remember that.

Anonymous said...

weird....thats all

Heather said...

"Non-mutant cats" made me giggle.

Hee!

Perhaps this is why in my entire life, I've never had a single cat that wasn't, um, non-mutant.... and I've had lots of cats in my lifetime (over 40 that I can recall, thanks to the farm, dontcha know). It's because you lot are hogging them all! :D