Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Father's day is pretty much a non-event in our household, since there is no father here. Liam has already called my Dad and will call Hilary's step-Dad on the west coast when it's a decent time to do so. Nothing says Happy Father's day like being woken up at 4 in the morning by your Grandson on the opposite coast!

So far Liam has never expressed any interest or concern in having a 2 Mum family with no father. His friends come from such varied family make ups that it's not an issue among his peers either.

However, he does have a basic enough understanding of biology to know that it takes a man and a woman to make a baby. He talks a lot about K, his birth mother, knows that he grew in her belly and that she gave birth to him. He has yet to ask about any male involvement in his creation. Unfortunately we do not have very much info to share with him when he does ask. That was one of the reasons that I wanted to have an open adoption with K, so that when the questions do come, Liam can go straight to the source and not spend his life wondering - much like I did. But until K decides to reestablish contact with us, there isn't much we can do.

So today I will take a moment to reflect on this unknown man with whom my son shares 1/2 of his DNA. I will wonder which mannerisms come from this man, what traits they have in common, and what life would be like if we could open our home and hearts to him and include him in Liam's extended family.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there, known and unknown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spencer is in the same boat as Liam and has also yet to ask about the 'other half' that created him...I have a short video of the person and that is it...For me fathers day is bittersweet having been my fathers daughter...he is gone now 9 years this July 4. I do make a big deal out of it with Richard for the boys...they need to get what being their father means to him...I think no matter how and what you celebrate Liam will be a fine young man and dad some day!!