Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Iris update

Well I plucked up my courage and called her today!

She didn't say anything about the email, so all is well!

The down side is that I won't be able to see her when I'm in Ontario. I arrive the evening of June 24th and she is scheduled for surgery the morning of the 25th. Madelaine has taken the full week off to help her with her recovery, so she will be around meaning that I can't be.

Now I'm having weird soap-opera type thoughts of sneaking into the hospital dressed up as a Doctor just to say hi! Hmmmm....maybe not.

Of course, her going into surgery brings up the anxiety of "what if". What if she dies? Nobody knows about me, so nobody will know to tell me. I'll be back to reading the obits daily.

Secrets SUCK!!! So if you are in a position where you keep one of these life-altering secrets, BUCK UP!! Tell people, be brave, get it all out in the open. In the end it will be better for everyone. It can't be worse then this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy...maybe you could have something prepared for those 'if's'....not sure what that would be but it is something to think about. I am sorry that you can not get to see her...I know you were hoping...I still think that you could try to get to the hospital and see her even for a fleeting moment.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy, I'm new here but see we share lots of folks on our blogrolls. I've tracked back a bit to find background on your situation with Iris and I just want to tell you that I'm sorry how hard this must be. You're spot on though -- these secrets don't help anyone in the long run.

That aside, is there ANY way you can meet up with Iris in the hospital somehow? In reality I'm thinking it's not so easy, but it seems a shame you'll be right there.

And Liam? He's adorable! Initially, my attention was caught when first landing at your blog because of his name -- Liam has long been the name should my husband and I be placed with a boy. (We have one child now, a girl, through domestic open adoption.)

Anyway, glad to have found you. I'll be back.

And I'm wishing you the best with Iris in that maybe something can be worked out while you're in her neck of the woods.

Best,
Gretchen