Monday, June 2, 2008

General life updates:




  • Nothing to earth shattering has been going on of late. Well, that's not entirely true... I shattered the earth yesterday when I fell down our stairs. They were wet from Liam washing them (his normal Sunday job) and I was being very careful going down them, all the time explaining to Liam that he should wait at the bottom because it wasn't safe. Then BOOM down I went. I went down on my butt, which bore the brunt of the injuries. My left cheek is now a lovely collage of black, blue and purple. My left forearm is banged up as well, but at least nothing is broken.



  • Liam only has 2 weeks of school left! I can't believe that the year has gone by so quickly. They had their fair last week, showcasing their work for this term. They studied bioluminescent creatures of the sea. Liam focused on the Elephant ear Sponge. I had to Google it, as I had never heard of it before. Here's a picture for everyone else who has never heard if it either!








And this is Liam's interpretation:








  • Liam starts outdoor soccer tonight. He did a six week Spring Tune Up that finished last week. This is his first foray into organized sports. He has a very competitive streak and tends to get upset and cry when things don't go his way. I hope that it goes well. We know the coach so that will hopefully help. Liam is soccer obsessed at the moment and loves playing, so I don't want him to lose that enthusiasm.





  • Liam and I leave for Ontario on the 24th. He is very excited to see his Grandma and Grandpa, but even more excited about sleeping in their cabin and celebrating his birthday out there. My parents live on a 50 acre farm of which 20 acres is bush. There is a small pond, and my Dad built a cabin next to it. It doesn't have electricity or running water, but does have a cook stove. Last year on our visit we had a fire and Liam got to roast Marshmallows for the first time. He wasn't interested in sleeping there, but is now.







  • I had hoped to see my birth mother Iris while I'm in Ontario, but I still haven't heard back from her since my early morning email (check out the details here). I will wait till it's a bit closer to the 24th and then I will call her. I hate the waiting and wondering though!




  • At a recent school auction, Hilary and I donated a "Schamburger" Cake. The woman who won it at the auction needs it for this weekend, so we will be doing some baking this week and probably put it together Saturday morning. This is a picture of the first Schamburger we made:






  • We still have not had any contact with K, Liam's first mother. Liam is somewhat oblivious to the fact that she has stopped contact with us, as we never got mail or anything direct from her. Most of our communication was me sending her letters, or chatting by email and IM. She is still listed in our IM, so every time she signs in, her profile picture pops up to let us know. The picture she has is of J, her little girl who just turned one. Liam loves to see it every time it pops up and thinks that J is the cutest baby ever. I don't know how long it's going to be before he starts asking more direct questions, or wants to reach out to them. I'm not sure how we will handle that then. For now, I will continue to honour our original contact agreement and will send her a letter and pictures in July, around Liam's birthday.





  • I've had the opportunity to work from home recently. Once I got the wireless router hooked up and didn't have to move the dinning room table and string cords over the backs of chairs, I was hooked! I would love to be able to do it all the time. I am currently "bossless" at work, as our director resigned, but has not been replaced yet. The previous director didn't want anyone who reported to her working from home full time. I'm hoping that the new one (should we get a new one any time soon!) won't feel that way. I get more done and am a much happier person when I'm working from home. And really, the type of work that I do doesn't require me to be in the office.
  • 8 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    very fun post...call it a potluck of sorts...I am sorry to hear that you took stumble.,.,.,I have done that on more then one occasion and I feel your pain...the bioluminescence stuff is really cool...that is a great school he goes to...shamburger cakes are soo fun I have made two they are a lot of work but the kudos are endless...any news on the health front??

    starsgoblue said...

    I hope you're doing ok from your fall. Lovely post.

    Lori Lavender Luz said...

    I was quite scared for a moment. In my browser, while I was reading about your fall, I was seeing the top part of the elephant ear sponge. I thought it was your injury for a moment!

    Lots going on for you this summer. I hope you and Liam have a good trip and that Iris gets back to you soon.

    ♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

    hi
    I'm here from NaComLeavCom
    you have a full and busy life.
    I hope you recover soon from your fall.

    My Little Drummer boys
    warm regards
    Trish

    Queenie. . . said...

    I love that cake. What a great idea! And I'm so sorry about your fall. I've fallen down our stairs so many times, it's a wonder I haven't broken anything.

    Heather said...

    Hey Andy - come on, you're not going to post the bruise picture here on your blog? Hee! Just kidding - I hope it is healing up quickly for you!!! I hope soccer goes well, and your upcoming trip too - may it be full of many roasted marshmallows, fun with grandparents and a satisfying visit with Iris, too.

    Jendeis said...

    The burger and fries cakes are the coolest things I have ever seen! EVER!!!!! So awesome.

    Hoping that you recover quickly from your fall.

    Jendeis said...

    Any tips or recipes for the Schamburger and Fries?