Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 30, 2008 - Today's the day

that I have WAY too much excitement before my first sip of coffee!

While I was taking my MIL her tea, I heard a bang. Nothing major, no crying, no breaking glass (that I could hear) so I didn't think much of it. When you live with a 5 year old you learn to tune out these minor disturbances!

But as I was pouring coffee for Hilary and I, Hilary came limping down the stairs and asked me to help her. I got her to the bathroom, sitting on the toilet. A metal picture frame had fallend off of the dresser and scratched her leg. Actually, it was more of "cut" her leg. It was about 3 inches long, but not very deep. So I got a gauze pad and tape out to cover it. Hilary mentioned that she was feeling a bit light headed. The next thing I know, she had gone all stiff, her eyes are glazed over, she's making a strange gutteral moaning noise and she falls off of the toilet into my arms! She has passed out. I'm able to ease her to the floor without her getting hurt. Now the problem is that our bathroom is quite small, and Hilary and I aren't. The door was shut, with her legs up against it, with me behind her, with my back up against the tub. I couldn't get her to wake up instantly, so I shouted for MIL to come help. I was able to get Hilary's legs out of the way enough for MIL to open the door and look in, but not to get into the bathroom to be of any help. I was able to grab a facecloth and wet it down and by putting that on Hilary's face and back of her neck I was able to get her to come to.

All together she was only out for maybe 10-25 seconds, which of course seemed MUCH longer! With MIL's help we got her to her feet and on to the couch. She had some grapes and started to feel better.

She's always said that the sight of her own blood can cause her to pass out, but this is the first time in 15 years that I've seen it happen!

I promptly sat down and had several cups of coffee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My WORD...I am glad that it was just the site of her own blood that took her out and not something else...Holy cow what a busy morning you had...did her mom know she passes out like this??

My best to a quick heal of the cut and please don't let her look at it again

Heather said...

YIKES! I'm glad Hilary is okay. For a moment there, I was afraid you were going to say "and it turns out she had a concussion and we wound up in the ER" ...... whew!

Hope the rest of your day was much more uneventful!

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!!!

Glad it wasn't more serious!

Anonymous said...

OK - some day I will have to tell you guys about the time I had to have a cust on my thyroid biopsied, and Jeff insisted on being there. Let's just say that the combo of the bright room, me laid out like I was being sacrificed, and an amazingly long needle were enough to make him the main patient, not me.

Glad Hilary is OK. That must have scared the crap out of you!