Friday, March 7, 2008

Update from my appointment

When we looked back through my file, we discovered that I have been in to see her with similar complaints 3 other times, dating as far back as 2001! I’ve had various tests and ultra-sounds each time and they have always come back negative. So we are doing them all again! Blood work, ultra-sound and an upper GI x-ray. Oh what fun… not.

The one test being done this time that was not available last time is a blood test to measure Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase. This can be an indicator of Celiac disease. If it comes back positive it has to be confirmed by a biopsy. Given the symptoms and all my past negative tests, I would not be at all surprised to find out that it is Celiac. A friend of ours has this so Hilary is very familiar with the dietary constrains. The short version is no flour… no bread, no pasta, no cookies, no crackers, no cake etc… There are all sorts of other things like Soya sauce and sauages (bread products used as fillers), but you get the picture. Our friend said that within 2 weeks of altering her diet she felt better then she ever has in years. I’m hoping for something as quick and easy!!

So I’ll get the blood work done tomorrow or Monday… it’s an 8 hour fasting one, so I’m hoping to go first thing in the morning, and I’m waiting on dates for the other 2 tests. For now she gave me a prescription for Pantoloc (Protonix in the states)

Chemical Name: PANTOPRAZOLE

Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) used to treat ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), erosive esophagitis, or Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Protonix works by blocking acid production in the stomach. Protonix may be used in combination with antibiotics including amoxicillin or clarithromycin to treat certain types of ulcers


I’ll try this for a month while we wait for all the test results.

2 comments:

Krissi said...

"Protonix" or Prilosec (OTC name) works, but it will take about 3 days or a little longer to kick in. I take it because all the pills I have to swallow (but pills worth swallowing! Kidney transplant anti-rejection pills!) are hard on my stomach and GI.

I hope you get some relief.

Heather said...

I know four people who have been prescribed Protonix, and for all of them it has worked wonders. I hope that it helps you, and that the tests are done and results known quickly.

Celiac disease doesn't necessarily mean NO bread/pasta etc at all, does it? I thought it was a gluten or gluten/casein issue; if that's the case I know kids who are on GF/CF diets (for SPD/SID) and they have found alternatives from which to make their own breads, cookies, cakes etc.... Let me know if that is ultimately what you have to do, 'cause I can get my hands on all sorts of good GF/CF recipe links.